Friday, November 7, 2008

The 24 Hour Song Challenge

One day last month my incredible friend KC emailed and suggested a game. The rules would be very simple. I suggest a song...and he would record a cover of it within 24 hours and send it back. Of course, KC being KC, the catch was that the song had to be a Top 10 hit from the 70's - from the reamining dust of AM radio gold.

Of course I was game, and as we went back and forth with potential details KC realized that bringing in another unbelieveable talent and individual, Brad, our project would truly take wings.

So, I toiled with what my choices would be - going back and forth between the classic rock, punk, and post-punk songs of that era which I loved, and the appropriate amount of cheese to make the game more interesting. Because I could not choose, the rules softened. I was allowed to pick an A side, and a B side, and the boys were given more than 24 hours...but not much.
What you are about to hear will astound and impress. KC built the first layers in his home studio in Oakland. Drums, keyboards, guitars, etc. He then emailed the files to Brad in Baton Rouge for vocals, more instruments, and then back to KC for production. I think you'll agree that I am blessed to have some pretty talented friends.

So let me introduce to you, the act you'ver known for all these years, The Howie Lunge Band!

A Side: Styx - Come Sail Away (reached its highest chart position of #8 on my birthday in 1977)


and for reference,

B Side: The Raspberries - Go All The Way (a #5 hit in 1972, with lead singer Eric Carmen at the helm)


and for reference,

What does the future hold? Stay tuned for much more. Post a comment and let us know if Howie Lunge has a future!

10 comments:

Colin Campbell said...

Yeah, I have a comment. This is the greatest thing in the entire history of civilization. Let me rank it among history's other greatest things:

1) This
2) Democracy
3) The Wheel
4) Air (the stuff we breathe, not the French downtempo band)
5) Dodger Stadium/Vin Scully (tie)
6) Babies
7) Air (the French downtempo band)
8) Fire
9) Barack Obama
10) Maud Adams ("Octopussy")

Dropping out of the top ten: The Apollo Moon Landing. Sorry, Neil & Buzz. You've been pwned by Howie Lunge!

Anonymous said...

At first I mistook #10 for "Then there's Maude"...Arguably a list-belonger as well.

KCB

Anonymous said...

This has to be one of the most EPIC things I have ever heard. All I can really say is thank you.

Jason Wells said...

Amazing. F-ing amazing. If I'm not listening to The Howie Lunge Band singing Grand Illusion by midnight tomorrow night, someone is going to die.

When you're done with that we can begin discussing the deadline for Take It On the Run, by REO Speedwagon.

Nice job boys, thanks for sharing your fun. Peace

Anonymous said...

"Yes, yes, yes!" is my initial reaction, and I haven't even heard the songs yet.

Gosh, what would I have chosen. Some Eagles, I think. Or Cheap Trick.

Now I'll give those two tunes a listen.

sars! said...

holy crap! All I can say is next time... anything from Chicago or Air Supply. Yeah... Now I'm just craving the tasty goodness of it all and feel the need to sing. Tanks mang!

sars! said...

I'm sorry, I reread that and my request for tasty goodness seemed to negate the awe I had for the job KC & Brad did on this. You f-ing rule! (ask frank how good that is from me and how hard it was not to type out the word...:-)

Anonymous said...

Doug, by "yes, yes, yes" I assume you mean that you are begging us to record "Long Distance Runaround"...

KCB

Anonymous said...

Jason, In the REO department, I must say that the HLB is way more "Back on the Road" than "Take it on the Run"...We rock it old school. yo check it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP5g9VZjxrI

unnamed HLB roadie

Unknown said...

This does, in fact, rule.

Subscribe in a reader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to My AOL