Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Giving Thanks for Grandma D

I have been inspired. My friend Ashley has the most amazing food blog going where she shows off the simple, delicious food she makes for her family. Her pictures bring the dishes to life, and we have already enjoyed a couple of her recipes. She is also launching a recipe service which you can subscribe to - just email her to find out the details.
Now, I have a couple standard dishes that have moved people to ask for the recipe. None as much as Grandma D's Stuffing. We call it Grandma D's Stuffing to pay homage to my late, great Grandma: Hazel Dilluvio; but within the family it is just called "the stuffing." Grandma D was not known as a cook, but she taught me to make this family staple which each of us now make part of our Thanksgiving tradition. And sometimes Christmas. And sometimes January 3rd just for the hell of it.

The key to the dish is using good, hot Italian sausage. I also think a lot has to do with the "croutons" or bread that is used. The rest is pretty standard.

Since I have been on a health kick of late, I wanted to see if I could bring Grandma D's recipe down a few calories and still want to finish the entire dish. I simply replaced the "oleo" with olive oil, the pork sausage with turkey sausage, and used low-fat, lower-calorie condensed soups. I declare it was a success. So, I now present the lite version of our family's favorite pasttime.

Ingredients:

  • 8 0z. (half-loaf or full baguette) French or crusty bread. Cut into cubes, spray with olive oil and dust with salt, pepper, herbs (oregano, dried basil, etc.) and toast. If you don't have time, try to get big cubed croutons from your grocery bakery. Don't use the boxed stuff.
  • Olive oil
  • 1.5 cups chopped celery
  • 1.5 cups chopped onion
  • 8 oz. sliced mushrooms (I like Baby Bellas for this)
  • 1 lb hot Italian Turkey sausage (pulled from casing and broken into small bits)
  • 1-2 tsp. Poultry seasoning
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom
  • 1 can Cream of Celery
  • 1/2 can of water
1. Coat a big skillet with olive oil. Cook down the celery and onions for a minute and add the sausage. Cook with the lid on until the vegetables are soft.






2. Add mushrooms and poultry seasoning. Cook until all are tender (about 8 minutes)







3. In a big bowl, mix together soups, bread, and water.


4. Add skillet contents to big bowl and mix. Pour into a 9x13 casserole (spray with olive oil).

5. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
6. Abbondanza! and Happy Thanksgiving

1 comment:

baileysurfers said...

Yum, sounds great. May substitue "tofurkey" though :-)

Subscribe in a reader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to My AOL