Monday, February 2, 2009

The Best of 2008 Podcast is Here!

The 2nd ever Best Of podcast is launched here. And since this blog was created with the sole intention of me putting out regular podcasts and music it is with great embarrassment that I admit this is only the 2nd podcast in a year!

But that should all be changing. I am going to try very hard this year to keep the blog posting current, and generate a podcast on the first (or second) of each month! That's right, you heard me. And I hope you'll hold me to it.

For this year's Best Of, I chose to create two sides (segments) for those of you who thought the 90 minute download was too much. I am still thinking of these in terms of my old cassette versions, so I shoot to widdle my list down to 90 minutes. My random "deejay" entries are not great, but they do sound better! Colin Campbell donated a Rode Podcaster mic to the cause and after I figure out how best to use it, I am sure the podcasts will improve. As always, much thanks, as always, goes to MPKTR benefactor Jason Wells.

This year's favorites run the gamut from classic snap, to funky crackle, and sublime pop. Please listen and let me know if you find a fave or two. I will also post my top ten albums of the year here...

...and if you want to hear last year's podcast, that can be found here.

Since my covers have always tried to capture a moment in the year, this one combines many influences, and features the only two members of the Palin family worthy of being part of The Best of 2008!

Frank's Best of 2008 - Side 1

Poi Dog Pondering - Lemon Drop Man (7)
Jenny Lewis - Carpetbaggers (Acid Tongue)
OK Go and Bonerama- A Million Ways (Live on Letterman 2-11-08)
The Virgins -Rich Girls (SXSW 2008 Showcasing Artists)
Flight Of The Conchords - Hiphopopotamus Vs. Rhymenoceros (Flight Of The Conchords)
Chris Difford - Broken Family (The Last Temptation of Chris)
The Alarm - Hit the Ground Running (Guerilla Tactics)
Josh Ritter - To The Dogs or Whoever (Live on Letterman)
The Futureheads vs Alphabeat - Hounds Of Love vs Fascination
Alphabeat - What Is Happening (This is Alphabeat) * I mistakenly referred to them as a Swedish pop act - they are Danis. My apologies.
Glen Campbell - Sing (Meet Glen Campbell)
Old 97's - Ride (Blame It On Gravity)
The Decemberists - Valerie Plame (Always The Bridesmaid: A Singles Series)

Frank's Best of 2008 - Side 2

The Ting Tings - Great DJ (We Started Nothing)
M83 - Kim & Jessie (Saturdays = Youth)
Conan O'Brien - 40 Days (Live on Late Night w/ Conan O’'Brien)
Colin Meloy - We Both Go Down Together (Colin Meloy Sings Live!)
Raphael Saadiq - 100 Yard Dash (The Way I See It)
Q-Tip - Gettin Up (The Renaissance)
Adele - Cold Shoulder (19)
Vampire Weekend- A-Punk (Saturday Night Live 03-08-2008)
Joe Jackson - Too Tough (Rain)
Robert Forster - It Ain't Easy (The Evangelist)
Ra Ra Riot - Can You Tell (The Rhumb Line)
The Howie Lunge Band - Come Sail Away (MPKTRS)

*Warning: Some language in some songs may require some discussions with some children.

** Subscribe to this podcast (through RSS or itunes) and receive all the updates when they post!

4 comments:

sars! said...

you need to post the playlist...

for those of us that may want more info or more tunes

please and thank you :o)

FW said...

Thanks SW! So, in a gesture of pure charity, I have now posted all of the songs - AND some tasty links to make the experience even more internutty.

sars! said...

that was far more than I was expecting and way, way better!!! tanks mang!

sars! said...

"Alphabeat - What Is Happening (This is Alphabeat) * I mistakenly referred to them as a Swedish pop act - they are Danis. My apologies."

as someone dating a Dane (we even call him the Dane... I know, I know) this is a big boo-boo.... They are not so fond of the Swedes. It can be likened to the Spaniard vs Mexican rivalry and so on. Good save though, I give you kudos.

Subscribe in a reader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to My AOL