Thursday, October 23, 2008

Doppelganger

So my good friend (and MPKTRS benefactor) Jason wonders, albeit kindly, if my blog is becoming a HuffingtonPost of sorts. Whereas I take that as a compliment because I find the HuffPost to have a great variety of writers, reporting, and commentary (and home to this hilarious piece by Larry David) [also, do not be fooled by it seemingly left-based opinion - tune in today for the Goldwater Family Feud!] I am also cautious that I may bore whatever readers stop by with my recent political whining. I can guarantee that the music and variety is coming very soon. [In the next few days you will get to take part in what stands to be the greatest online musical mission ever attempted: The 24 Hour Song Challenge.]

With these recent posts I certainly do not pretend to be imitating any really thoughtful journalistic efforts. Simply put, I am dealing with a lot of angst over this election and I find the writing helps calm me – and saves my family from (some) of my yelling at the teevee.

Speaking of Imitation. I decided to focus my next entry in my 100 Days Left Reasons to Celebrate on the imitative Presidency of George.

#93. The Cinematic George. We just saw W over the weekend and while the movie may not have been JFK, it was almost as tragic. But the performance by local Josh Brolin actually impressed me for his ability to capture the physical and possibly emotional being of 43. His impression reminds one of just how angry and contemptuous W can be, and the somewhat aloof and effete shell that was born in the shadows of “Poppy.” Here is Brolin on his charcterization.



#92. The C Student. When George W. Bush proclaimed that average students were just as fit to be president as, let’s say, slightly above average students, a star fell and a bell got its ring in the Alaskan night. Here is Frank Caliendo, who I think does the best Bush hands down. He seamlessly intertwines W’s lack of learnin’ with his lack of maturity and his lack of authority. He does, however, capture Bush’s best quality – his sense of humor. Warped as it may be.

#91. The Original Doofus. Will Ferrel’s Bush is still my favorite. Ferrel had Bush fully drawn before the Supreme Court ever appointed him to Office. His portrayal captures Bush at his simplest. What is sad, is that Bush as simpleton never elevated to statesman. Never elevated to inspirational. And never grew beyond the earliest imitations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Josh Brolin did a convincing Dubya, though he reminded me a lot of his cowboy character from No Country for Old Men... over all, i don't doubt that 'W.' will have the effect Oliver Stone desired

Subscribe in a reader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to My AOL