Thursday, October 9, 2008

Teen Alligator

I have a teenager as of tomorrow. A beautiful, smart, funny, talented, sweet, amazing teenager. Does that make me old? No. That makes her old.

I think X and I are doing pretty well for the circumstances. She's not 40 so I think she does not see this as such a big deal. But I am 40 and I need somebody to reassure me that my daughters will stop growing up some day. I don't want to imagine - I CANNOT - imagine a life where they are not the first faces I see in the morning and the last before I crawl off the couch, trip over their towels left in the hall, and head to bed.

But enough about me. Let me tell you about America's newest teen sensation. Allison, as you may know, came to us under very odd yet powerful circumstances. She was the cutest child ever to grace the planet for almost three years. She walked. She spoke. She could sing most of Rockin' Robin before she was out of diapers. She could read before she knew how. She loved Mary Poppins. She still loves Mary Poppins.

That's what is most awesome about Alligator. She has not changed much over the past 13 years. Sure, she's taller and can now do dishes like nobody's business; but she is also gentle, and careful, and peaceful. She takes time to think about how she sees the world. She keeps friends dear, and her mom is her hero. Her patience drives us nuts. We often remark that her greatest accomplishment was possibly the raising of her younger sister Campbell. She has had a lot more impact than mom and dad I think.

I have been playing music with Allison lately and I hope one day we'll share some of the songs we play. She has a great voice and loves cool songs. She also loves "Wicked" but I am hoping she'll grow out of it - but secretly, I hope she never does. I hope she never stops singing Disney songs, and watching Little Bill with my niece because she actually may like it more. I hope she gets through these teen years never being afraid to sing out loud, to act like the world will just work itself out, and to start her path to adulthood with the same conscientiousness she brought into that wild night in 1995.

Mostly, I hope she makes her teen years last forever.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

My incredible nieces inspire me and make me feel nice and old. I am proud to be their Auntie and I really hope I'm the cool one (sorry Marilyn!). Sorry that we missed the big 13! We were eating our way through Italy (oops, I mean cycling). We love you Allison and the rest of the Tanglewood gang!

ck

Subscribe in a reader

Add to Google Reader or Homepage

Add to My AOL